About the job
The Business Development Department supports the GladAfrica Group, across all of GladAfrica’s entities, in their business development activities. Within the department there is a unit that focuses on tenders of unsolicited and publicly-advertised nature. GladAfrica is sourcing a Bid Manager who will be responsible for bid execution from the start to the end of the process. An individual with proven knowledge and experience in the management of tenders is sought to join this unit.
This should be an individual who is flexible to work across multiple disciplines in engineering, project management, environmental and investments. Strength of character will be necessary to interact with internal clients and influence behavior and culture in order to ensure success in all tendering efforts. The individual will assist the Senior Bid Manager and the Executive Business Development to create excellence within the Business Development department.
This position reports to the Senior Bid Manager.
This position is based in Midrand, Gauteng.
Qualifications and Experience
- Tertiary degree/diploma in related field
- Recommended: APMP Training and certifications
- 10+ Years’ experience in the management and coordination of bids of all sizes and types, particularly major bids
- 4 to 6 Years in the built environment and consulting industry
- 5 Years’ leadership/management experience
Key Knowledge Areas and Competencies
- Proven experience in submitting compliant bids
- In-depth understanding of statutory company documentation, and other standard material used in bids
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of bid management, both locally (municipal, provincial, national, government entities, private) and internationally (funding agencies, private)
- Extensive experience in project management, relating to bid management, both locally and internationally
- Good knowledge of public sector procurement procedures
- Experience in working in a challenging and dynamic environment
- Experience in writing technical papers and sections thereof
- Experience in editing papers written by technical staff to ensure persuasive writing, consistency, professional standards and compliance to client requirements
- Ability to identify and assess commercial risk
- Innovative, creative, determined, persistent individual
- Proven ability to interact positively with internal and external clients, and colleagues, building credibility for self and department
- A flexible approach to work, and ability to work overtime when necessary
- Ability to work under pressure and deliver work to deadlines
- Self-motivated, proactive individual
- Outstanding ability to lead meetings, present effectively in front of an audience, communicate effectively
- Ability to take charge of a situation, create order, and motivate others into action
- Excellent eye for detail
- Delegate roles, responsibilities, and decision-making appropriately, sharing responsibility and accountability with the bid team
- Strong organisational skills
- Fluent in English with excellent ability to read, write and speak
- Drivers license and a reliable car
- Management and leadership of bids and all related activities, including positioning, strategy development, bid preparation, bid compilation and submission, post-submission activities with reference to bids of all natures (RFP, RFI, EOI, Quotations, Unsolicited etc.)
- Collaborate in a leadership role with business technical teams and account managers in management of bids
- Manage a team of administrative and technical staff who are allocated to work on a tender when necessary
- Ensure Business Development procedures are followed, and lead by example
- Ensure all submissions are compliant to client requirements, or exceed requirements
- Lead meetings
- Manage quality of all submissions
- Support the Executive Business Development and the Senior Bid Manager in their activities
- Provide guidance and mentorship to junior members of the team
- Active and consistent efforts in building a library of pre-written proposal content and related material and samples
- Identify and share lessons learned as inputs to the continuous improvement of the department and company
- Support colleagues in their business development activities
- Ability to develop systems and process to facilitate the business development cycle
- Co-ordination and delegation of day-to-day bid related activities such as validity extensions and tender acceptance letters
- Able to customise CVs and Project References to suit client/tender requirements
- Identify and escalate barriers or issues that may hinder the successful completion of winning bids and ensure these are successfully resolved
- Excellent skills required in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Optional: MS Project
- Willingness and ability to follow and set the example with company Quality Management System (QMS) procedures
Interested applicants must send their resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, 25th May 2018.
Correspondence will only be conducted with short listed candidates. If you have not had any response in two weeks, please consider your application unsuccessful. Your profile will be kept on our database for any other suitable positions.
We also invite you to contact us to discuss other exciting career opportunities in our niche area!