About the job
This position entails technical oversight and leadership at the regional level of the Health and Safety Division within the Business Unit. It includes integration and coordination with the Environment and Sustainability Division to ensure seamless service delivery to clients on projects, especially where OHS and Environmental services are rendered on the same project. The incumbent will manage a team with a regional portfolio of health and safety projects (consulting), as well as play a role in ensuring compliance (i.e. Employer’s responsibilities in terms of the Occupational Health and Safety Act, Act No. 85 of 1993).
This position reports to the Health and Safety Manager.
This position will be based in Durban, Kwa-Zulu Natal.
Qualifications and Experience
- BSc or M degree (Higher Diploma or other Advanced Certificate or Bachelor’s Degree in Safety Management or Occupational Hygiene/Health/Safety Management)
- 10 – 15 years’ experience in various roles as an occupational health and safety consultant/practitioner/manager
- Professional Construction Health and Safety Agent Registration is compulsory
- MS Office, other management tools and skills, including business planning forecasting and analysis
Key Knowledge Areas and Competencies
- In-depth understanding of the Standard Scope of Services required of an Agent registered in terms of Section 18 (1) (c) of the Project and Construction Management Professions Act, Act No. 48 of 2000. The incumbent must be proficient in all 9 knowledge areas of construction health and safety:
- Procurement Management
- Cost Management
- Hazard Identification Management
- Risk Management
- Accident / Incident Investigation Management
- Legislations and Regulations
- Health, Hygiene and Environmental Management
- Communication Management
- Emergency Preparedness Management
- Interpersonal communication and staff and self-management
- Problem solving, critical thinking and analytical skills
- Planning and analysis of resource requirements, including budgeting and forecasting
- Preparation of tenders and proposals
- Contributing to the development of Standard Operating Procedures for OHS System including business operations, such as baseline risk assessments, health and safety specifications, safety file reviews/approvals, site inspections, audits, etc.
- In-depth knowledge of health and safety legislation, regulations, policies, and international best practice
- Microsoft Office Suite, e.g. Microsoft Projects, Excel,
- Knowledge of Safety Auditing and Reporting Software
- Auditing at facilities/construction sites, Writing and Reviewing of Technical Reports
- Training and mentoring of staff in health and safety management consulting
- Mentoring of staff in professional registration process and provision of standard scope of services required of a Professional Construction Health and Safety Agent.
- Supervision and management of regional team responsible for project delivery, project structuring, performance and monitoring
- Performance reviews for Health and Safety staff (direct reports)
- Ensuring that the region meets its invoicing targets to contribute to financial performance and project profitability
- Monitoring and reporting on resource utilisation within the region
- Client management including satisfaction and growth within current regional clients
- Contributing to business development by winning new business and to overall performance by providing support to Head Office or other regions
- Coordination with the Environment and Sustainability division to ensure project delivery and client satisfaction
- Contributing to the development and implementation of a regional strategy for the division
- Overseeing professional registration of staff and their continuous professional development
- Assisting with the regional implementation and establishment of the company’s Occupational Health and Safety Management System
- Reporting on the health and safety business operations and the effectiveness of the OHS System to the Manager Health and Safety
If you meet the above requirements, apply by sending your CV to email@example.com
Correspondence will only be conducted with short listed candidates. If you have not had any response in two weeks, please consider your application unsuccessful. Your profile will be kept on our database for any other suitable positions.
We also invite you to contact us to discuss other exciting career opportunities in our niche area!