About the job
The purpose of the position is to provide support in the delivery of reliable, accurate, timely and well-informed advice to the group and technical companies on legal matters. Identify and advice on potential legal implications of various corporate strategies, business initiatives and projects. Service delivery orientated.
This position reports to the Executive: Legal
The position will be based in Midrand.
Qualifications and Experience
- Admitted attorney with 5 — 10 years PQE in a commercial environment and preferably Construction/Engineering background.
- Strong base in contract law;
- Sound experience with drafting agreements, technical assistance, and legal advice;
- Good knowledge of company law and labour law (Companies Act; LRA, BCEA).
- Good knowledge of Procurement processes and legislation (PFMA, MFMA and PPP)
- Experience in advising on corporate governance is an advantage. (Companies Act, King IV etc.)
Key Knowledge Areas and Competencies
- Planning methods and techniques
- Business procedures
- People management
- Shows evidence of clear analytical thinking.
- Gets to the heart of complex problems and issues.
- Applies own initiates and expertise effectively.
- Works strategically to attain organizational goals, develops strategies and takes account of a wide range of issues that impact the organisation.
- Strong drafting skills with meticulous attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently and/or work as a member of a team.
- Upholds ethics and values, acts with integrity.
- Strategic and analytical problem solving skills.
- Drive for results, focuses on customer needs and satisfaction, sets high standards for quality and quantity and consistently achieves set goals.
- Legal responsibilities:
- Provide advice to the group on changes in relevant regulatory and legislative framework;
- Ensure compliance with and provide internal training regarding applicable laws and Group policies and procedures;
- Building understanding of legal issues, risks and obligations across the business through advice and training;
- Drafting and negotiations of various Commercial Agreements and industry related agreements (NEC, Fidic, Procsa, GCC and JBCC)
- Risk Management: Ensuring effective management of legal and contractual risks; Provide assistance to technical Companies on delay claims and contractual risk of projects and agreements;
- Attending on Tender committees (Tender review, including providing legal advice of tender requirements and identifying associated risk)
- Transactional legal advice on any contracts entered to by the Group
- Provide legal support to the group with regards group’s policies, disputes, employment, contracts etc.
- Manage and liaise with 3rd party attorneys to provide instruction and monitor litigation matters;
- Keep abreast of new legislation, updated legislation and case law to monitor legislative changes and advise business accordingly;
- Development of group policies in line with legal and regulatory requirements (Coordinating) and needs of the Group; Assisting in the compilation of the B-BBEE Scorecard;
- Assist on all Labour related matters;
- Produce reports as required by senior personnel;
- Reviewing of Business proposals and providing legal advice thereon (specialised knowledge of PFMA, MFMA, PPPA and regulatory requirements)
- Administration of all amendments to Legal entities (trust, companies and NGO’s)
- Implementing and maintaining of contract management principles;
Providing advice to HR on labour matters and assisting with disciplinary of employees Liaise with external attorneys and stakeholders on matters, as and when required (i) liaising and managing communications with and instructions to outside counsel and appointed experts; (ii) leading and coordinating litigation support, including but not limited to compilation of evidence, document search and review, evaluation of evidence, management of etc.; and (iii) internal updates and reports of related activities.
- Assist Company Secretariat in all general corporate governance requirements;
- Legal risk detection and assessment of the implementation of risk management policies and processes
- Management of risk (attending on Risk register);
- Carry out any other ad hoc duties required by the group from time to time
- Generally assist and support the Executive: Legal and business unit in all matters
- Ensure the quality management system is correctly implemented in the business unit Compiling Legal report
If you meet the above requirements, apply by sending your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Correspondence will only be conducted with short listed candidates. If you have not had any response in two weeks, please consider your application unsuccessful. Your profile will be kept on our database for any other suitable positions.
We also invite you to contact us to discuss other exciting career opportunities in our niche area!